Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TWIO Reviews = Me Wigging Out

I debated whether or not I should write this up. I mainly debated it, because EBT's been teaching me about getting to a point where I don't feel the need to defend myself or my characters or my plot, and with that comes along a sense of "I don't give two shits." Unfortunately, I do give two shits. I give lots of shits. It's just the type of person I am. I'm an overly emotional person.

First, please let me say that I am grateful - SO FUCKING GRATEFUL - that somebody, anybody, feels passionate enough or is interested enough in this story that they would leave a review. I know that reviews aren't everything, that there are amazing stories out there that only have a few, but it's still a big flaily deal for me when anybody reviews. The fact that TWIO has as many as it does convinces me that EBT is paying some of you in money or lap dances. O_O

Now, those who have not read Closer, Cold Desert don't know that I am NOT an angst writer. I can barely read it, let alone write it. I'm a fluff kinda girl. I like rainbows and sunshines and pretty little puppies playing with pretty little kittens. I like pranks! Then there's that whole thing about me not being a popular author. What I'm trying to get at is that I never EVER thought TWIO would get any sort of attention. At all. Nothing. Nada. No quiero. Despite what some trolls may think, I don't dig attention. I have a loud mouth and take a firm stance on certain things, yes, but I don't go looking for trouble or attention or any of that.

I went into this story completely unprepared. I was not prepared for the angry reviews and the inquisitive tweets (I always asked before for C, CD but didn't get any responses) and the apparent convos that take place in secret locations. I was not prepared for the attention, and therefore, I was not prepared in how to deal with said attention.

Ms. EBT has been a gem. She's been trying to teach me the art of thick skin. Obviously, I'm not there, yet. The reviews as of late have started weighing on me, and yesterday was the final day I could take it. I'm sorry, but a "Ben's boring" review doesn't help me as a writer. It just leads me to believe that sex and fights are the only things that people want to read about. I happen to believe that a story should have meaning, a moral. There is, however, a time and a place for some downright serious character fucking. Because, let's be honest, yeah...

This afternoon, I vented about this on Twitter. I take to Twitter and my BFF a lot to vent about shit that really grinds my gears. Problem with fan fic is that the BFF doesn't like or approve of it, so I just don't talk to her about it anymore. So, Twitter it is. Problem with that is that TWIO readers have started following me on my personal account, and I don't want any of them/you to feel that I'm nothing but grateful for everything you've done.

So, my solution is this: I'm no longer reading reviews for TWIO. It's really hard for me to sit there and read a review which does nothing but call Angela every dirty name in the book or says Bella's a doormat or Edward is morally bankrupt or that Ben's a schmuck. I have trouble with all of this when the story's not even complete. I know that I did a bang up job of setting Angela up in a not so pretty light, but there are moments - yes, they're there - where Angela's struggle and guilt and remorse are plain as day.

Anyway, so what I'm basically saying is that I'm a giant weenie. I revel in the good reviews, but I can't hack the negative ones. It sucks and makes me a crappy author, I guess, but it's the truth. I'm working on it, though. EBT and Khar have been great with the advice. I'm hoping that it'll sink in soon.

So, if you decide to review and leave a question, please don't think I'm intentionally ignoring you. My lack of response is simply that I haven't read the review. If you like, feel free to PM or tweet me. I'll go in cautiously, but I don't think I'll be blind-sided by my inability to take criticism. Or my giant weenie heart.

Again, thank you for everything. Even though I bitched today and am no longer reading reviews, it means a lot that people are willing to take the time to read and have discussions about something I'm writing.

I appreciate what you're doing for me, because at the end of the day (and this story), it's a lesson I'm learning.


Con Amor Siempre,
Iris

5 comments:

  1. Well said. And you reserve the right to however you feel as well as the right to not be influenced by reviews, which though nice, aren't what this should be about. You are doing a great job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    Just keep In mind that every time you write EBT, it makes me think of food stamps:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support you girl! Just continue the story you want to write and I hope that you do because I enjoy reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris, KUDOS TO YOU.
    I've told you this many times; you are one of my absolute favorite writers.

    I have NEVER ONCE thought to leave a review to any author stating that I didn't like the character, story, whatever. It's there for my entertainment, not for me to critique it.

    Do these people write to Stephenie Meyer, Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, etc. to complain that they don't like the way a character is portrayed? So what gives them the right to do it to a FanFic writer? It is your story to tell. Period. No one has any right to question a story-line, character, or motive. YOU are telling a story; it belongs only to you. If people are not happy with your story, then don't read it. Simple as that.

    Please realize you have an AMAZING following because you are THAT GOOD at what you do - look at the number of reviews alone, or the number of people that follow you on twitter. We follow you because we love you. Be very proud of that.

    (And talking about being thin-skinned? I understand completely. I haven't slept in 3 days due to a comment from a relative in an email. I know I need to tell them to "fuck off", but I'm too much of a baby to do it.)

    I totally understand about not reading reviews. NO ONE deserves or needs to deal with negativity in their lives.

    I am so grateful when you share your writing with us; it truly makes me happy and excited. So I want to THANK YOU for that.

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do not do this to yourself! Obviously some of us have been hurt by this behavior. I Hope that my comments on fanfic were nothing more than therapeutic for me. Not going to lie, this fic brought up latent feelings from my past. Please finish however you intended. Don't mind us opinionated Assholes....we would never have the balls to write about our best memories, let alone our worst!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love TWIO although I have to confess I'm terrible at leaving reviews for nearly everything I read. Try not to let them get to you - I imagine there's lots of other people out there like me who love it and just don't make time to review.

    Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete